A couple of years ago my husband introduced me to the awesomeness that his chicken tortilla soup is. Today, I shall share how to make it. It’s a long process but SO worth it in the end. Trust me on that. It’s also a bit spicy, but not overly. The consistency is heavenly and well, I could keep going but you will just have to try it out for yourself. Did I mention my husband is a chef at a swanky restaurant? Yep, it’s gonna be a good day.
Gonna stretch this post out over two days and then probably combine later. We have a busy day planned (remember how I said I HAVE to make a flower girl dress this weekend?) and I may not have time to update the actual process until tomorrow. Also, the FROGS are on this afternoon and the husband has friends coming over to watch the game.
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Serving Size – Not sure. Maybe 12? With leftovers. Depends on how many servings you have!
Grocery Store List:
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 5 tomatoes (hubbie likes to use roma), diced
- 2 jalapeño, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 guajillo dried peppers *, seeded and torn into pieces
- 1 pasilla dried pepper *, seeded and torn into pieces
- 1 bulb of garlic, diced
- cilantro, picked
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice and some extra for drizzling as garnish
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- chili powder
- 2 or 3 big cans/boxes of chicken stock (I like the box kind!)
- 1 lb of skinless, boneless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 avocado,sliced, for garnish
- queso fresca cheese for garnish
*good chance I am not spelling the names of these peppers correctly.
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian. Of course then it would really be called “Tortilla Soup”. Just replace the chicken stock with veggie stock and don’t add the shredded chicken.
Up next: Let’s Cook!!